I love greens and now that CSA has started again, I've been craving my favorite recipes. Last year for our clean eating workshop, I tweaked a Bon Appetit recipe for a warm shrimp and escarole salad to be Whole30 complaint. I've been craving it again, so last night I made it with a few new tweaks (wine, fish sauce, olives) to up the umami factor.
Umami Shrimp and Escarole Salad
- 1 large head of escarole, torn into small pieces
- 2 lbs. of shrimp, peeled
- 8 radishes, quartered
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1/2 a medium onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 dashes of fish sauce
- 1/2 c. good white wine
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/8 c. stuffed green olives, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and radishes and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp, garlic and fish sauce and just until shrimp are uniformly pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine, escarole, salt and pepper and cook until escarole is wilted but still green, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in olives and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute.